Sunday 14 March 2021

This blog is about the Vietnam War and any films relating to it.

 I've been interested in 20th Century history. I've looked up documentaries, I've read books which tell information based around that time, and films have caught my attention based around that time. For a while, I couldn't really what the Vietnam War meant all this time, one reason because a grew up in Britain when it was long past that war. My parents grew up in the 1960s, so they saw footage on the television at the time and even they didn't understand it. But now I understand it fully more than I used to. It's an iconic war and there is a lot of history, documentaries and films which talk about it. The Vietnam War took place in the Cold War and it lasted from 1945 to 1975.



What is this blog?

In this blog, I'm going to be posting information about famous films based in and around the Vietnam War, and tell some history for those who have been the same as me. Entertaining Action films is another one of my main interests, War films specifically, and this has inspired plenty of awesome films. They were actually which caught a piece of my interest as to what it was about. It's an iconic war which lasted for over a decade and in the end, it would Vietnam under Communist rule and America, one of the world's superpowers, suffer one of it's greatest losses of the 20th Century.

For those who have read my previous blog about Modern Warfare, I mentioned that there were a lot of fantastic war films that are based around the Vietnam War. I've decided to push back a few decades earlier and focus on the history and films on the Vietnam War, and my personal feelings about it. The Vietnam War is affectionate in a very profound way. Even though I'm British and born in time after the war like I mentioned before, I found the history of the war very affecting to me.


  • Pro
Vietnam War films can be atmospheric both disturbingly, emotionally and hauntingly. Veterans who had fought in it have expressed their feelings by writing accounts as to what happened from their point of view. Famous films like PlatoonHeaven & Earth and Born on the Fourth of July are all directed by Oliver Stone. They're based on accounts of those had fought in the war excellent stories, acting and special effects where action and drama are built around their environment and placed on the screen. They also show an Army that highly equipped which had to adapt its strategy to face the North Vietnamese and Vietcong which were a largely guerrilla fighting force.

  • Con
The main problem for me as a viewer. Is while account films look believable as to happened at the time, it's still very gothic for my taste. They do the job too well, that's why when I want to watch a war film, I like to see one based around World War 2 or Present Day warfare. The main issue with the Vietnam War, in general, is that it failed to win the hearts and minds of the public, the U.S. didn't have the proper resources needed to win the war and turned more into a fight with Peacelovers against War-mongers. 


Topics


  • Action

For anyone who is a Game Player for Call of Duty or Battlefield, The Vietnam War can an alternative subject to the genre. War films that take place in and around that time are explosive in one of two ways. Either the action-packed way with gunfights in combat style fashion with explosions like how it shows in We Were Soldiers.


  • Drama
In a drama, soldiers can question themselves why they're involved in the first place. Most soldiers were young and decided to join because the paper said the odds were in the American's favour when things were actually going the other way. Shows how deceitful the government was. Or conflict amongst the U.S. soldiers like it shows in Platoon. It tells that war crimes were made and the detail behind them which brought soldiers fighting each other than fighting the enemy. While a number of people were proud of doing patriotic duty, others stuck to the humanitarian mission for a Peace Ticket. A lot of films have expressed a lot of drama among soldiers, and among the nation 




  • Horror
Films can be made around this time with a psychological horror genre with which most vets from the Vietnam War came back home with them. I mentioned before, they can be atmospheric and traumatic with guns and explosions happening all around like in Apocalypse Now. The deeper in the jungle you go, the more crazy and insane things become.




My condolences

Writer's Note: For anyone who reads this blog and has fought in the Vietnam War, I hope this blog isn't disrespectful. If there's any sign of amusement or positivity from the writing, it's based around my enjoyment the films and games that are based in that time, so that part is for anyone who is a viewer or gamer who enjoys them and agrees with my opinion about them. Any piece of history I mention in my other posts, I'm just explaining what I know about the critical events that happened then. If this blog causes any upset or discomfort to where it becomes a sign of disrespect, I apologise and I will happily remove it. Thanks very much.


No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is about the Vietnam War and any films relating to it.

 I've been interested in 20th Century history. I've looked up documentaries, I've read books which tell information based around...